Final Call / Deadline approaching fast -- Workshop =?windows-1252?Q?=93Epistemic_perspective_and_social_cognition=94=2C_?=Dec 2011, Australia

Andrea Schalley a.schalley at griffith.edu.au
Wed Jun 15 13:55:58 UTC 2011

*FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS*
*Workshop Epistemic perspective and social cognition*
Annual Conference of the Australian Linguistic Society 2011

DATE: 4 December 2011
LOCATION: Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
CONTACT PERSON: Andrea Schalley
CONTACT EMAIL: a.schalley at griffith.edu.au
ALS 2011 WEB SITE:    <http://law.anu.edu.au/coast/events/langfest/als.htm>
ALS 2011 SUBMISSION WEB SITE:
<http://langfest.anu.edu.au/index.php/als/ALS2011/schedConf/cfp>

*EXTENDED CALL DEADLINE*: 23 June 2011

*WORKSHOP TITLE:*
Epistemic perspective and social cognition

*WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION:*
Social cognition is the capacity to represent and reason about agents
and events in our social universe, and to interact with others by
building a shared mental world (e.g. Goody 1995; Enfield & Levinson
2006). This workshop will look at how social cognition categories are
grammaticalised across the world’s languages, and will in particular
focus on the nexus of social cognition and epistemic perspective (cf.,
amongst others, Evans 2007). This includes, but is by no means limited
to, the tracking of contents of other minds, the expression of knowledge
sources (such as mirative and evidential marking), representations and
reports of others’ speech and thoughts, or how social group role
descriptors (such as kinship systems) depend on epistemic perspective.

The workshop aims at bringing together researchers working in this new
exciting area of typological research. We invite contributions that are
evidence-based treatments of the epistemic perspective and social
cognition nexus in a single language, but also those that showcase
cross-linguistic comparisons or present overviews of a subarea such as
the ones mentioned above. In addition, we welcome methodological
discussions and presentations of fieldwork tasks used for such purposes.
It is our hope that the workshop will invigorate and instigate a broad
interest in the study of social cognition and how it is encoded in
natural language.