grammaticalization and complexity

Tom Bartlett BartlettT at cardiff.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 09:44:09 UTC 2011

How about when our ancestors moved from holistic cries to two-item
complexes?

Tom.

From:   Frederick J Newmeyer <fjn at u.washington.edu>
To:     Funknet <funknet at mailman.rice.edu>
Date:   16/03/2011 03:09
Subject:        [FUNKNET] grammaticalization and complexity
Sent by:        funknet-bounces at mailman.rice.edu

Funknetters,

I am looking for nice examples of where a grammaticalization-related
change, however motivated it might be from the point of view of the
language user, ends up increasing the overall complexity of the resultant
grammatical system. One example that came to mind is the formation of the
distinct grammatical category of Modal Auxilary in English out of a
subclass of verbs. One might argue that English grammar is now more
complex because there are two categories rather than one and each have
very distinct properties. Can anybody think of other/better examples from
other languages?

Thanks! I'll summarize if there is any interest.

--fritz

Frederick J. Newmeyer
Professor Emeritus, University of Washington
Adjunct Professor, University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser
University
[for my postal address, please contact me by e-mail]