Fwd: Complexity

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Fri Mar 18 06:27:23 UTC 2011

But this is another example of how it isn't clear what it means to be
'more complex'. The Biblical Hebrew tense/aspect system distinguished
between verbal forms which have almost completely fallen together
morphologically but maintained radically different functions (not
just the 'imperfect' but also the 'perfect') by having one occur only
in clause-initial position prefixed with va- (and) and the other
occur only in non-clause-initial position. As someone who has worked
with this language a lot and gotten used to it, it isn't at all
clear to me that this system is more complex than the one that
preceded it. More typologically unusual, certainly. But why is it
more 'complex' to make a distinction by prefixing a conjunction than
by suffixing an agreement/tense-aspect marker?
John