Fwd: Complexity

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Fri Mar 18 20:06:05 UTC 2011

Jess,

Yes, there's constant recycling: syntax to morphology, morphology to
phonology, and so on and so forth. Old roots get lost, new roots form from
multimorphemic units that are fused, lost grammatical morphology is
replaced by syntax which eventually becomes morphology again.

Nowhere is there any evidence that all these changes lead to "progress."
The basic information conveying function of language remains the same.

    --Aya