Versatility?

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Fri Mar 18 20:50:43 UTC 2011

Dan,

One could argue that versatility is the ability to coin new words as
need be, not the presence of the words already in the lexicon.

English had that ability, too, just like Hebrew, at an earlier point in
its history. It lost the ability to do so due to massive borrowing as a
result of an extreme language contact situation.

But instead of saying that the more versatile language is the one that has
a stronger derivational system, the way I am inclined to do as a jingoist
Hebrew speaker, or instead of saying that having a bigger lexicon makes
you more versatile, as a proponent of English would, I would like to
submit that it all comes out even in the end: because we can all say what
we need to say in our own language.

Best,

     --Aya