Versatility?

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Sat Mar 19 18:41:30 UTC 2011

Angus,

Yes, all of what you say is valid. But I also think that analogy and
compositionality are functionally equivalent in a language with a very
regular derivational system. An irregular system discourages componential
analysis, because often the results are useless. So it happens that
speakers in such languages regard etymology as purely historical.

This is not a problem for speakers, because we both know they can
communicated just fine either way, though it does affect how they
conceptualize some things.

It does become a problem among linguists, when people are told
"that's not what the word means, it's just its etymology" without
realizing that it's a psychological issue that varies from speaker to
speaker, and sometimes based on expanded horizons due to bilingualism.
What is just a historical derivation for one speaker can be a synchronic
analysis for another.

Best,

    --Aya