Versatility?

Sherman Wilcox wilcox at unm.edu
Sun Mar 20 21:45:13 UTC 2011

On 20 Mar 2011, at 15:26, Pamela Munro wrote:

> The first time the observation about the analyzability of /rooster/
> was made here, I thought, sure, I know the ending -/ster/, but what is
> /roo/?

I routinely ask my students to analyze helicopter. No one can. Everyone
thinks the word has an -/er/ suffix. Some of them come up with /heli-/
having to do with the sun, but then they can't figure out what the sun
has to do with helicopters, or what -/copt/- might mean. Something that
chops the sun's rays?

--
Sherman Wilcox, Professor
Department of Linguistics