Versatility?

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Sun Mar 20 23:31:05 UTC 2011

Maybe it would be useful to add that among all the pieces of quaint
exemplars lie some general principles that have to do with both the
semantic & phonological changes that affect compound expressions. Once
the two parts co-vary in all (or most) contexts, and once the meaning of
the compound drifts away from the original composite meaning of the two
parts, there is a growing semantic incentive to cease interpreting it as
a composite, given that the predictability of the compound meaning from
its parts gets lower & lower over time. In parallel, once two
phonological sequences becomes fused as a single word, assimilation &
reduction make the similarity to the two original parts less & less
obvious. This is a typical "iconic conspiracy" in compounding &
co-lexicalization. Ther rest is, as usual, history.  TG