Versatility?

Batia Seroussi batia.seroussi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:18:32 UTC 2011

Aya,
I am not sure whether sending attachments is allowed on this list since I
am fresh here as an active contributor. My doctoral thesis, submitted a few
months ago, is still waiting for its final approval.  Anyway, if you are
interested, I will gladly send selected presentations of talks that I gave
and the whole study, as soon as it is approved, to your private mail.
best,
Batia

2011/3/21 A. Katz <amnfn at well.com>

> Batia,
>
> Is your thesis available online? It sounds very pertinent to this
> discussion, and we could all profit by reading it.
>
> Best,
>
>   --Aya
>

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Batia Seroussi wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>> One of the research questions of my doctorate, performed on native
>> speakers
>> of Hebrew in Tel-Aviv University under the supervision of Ruth Berman,
>> dealt
>> with the degree of compositionality or parsability of Hebrew derived nouns
>> with respect to familarity/frequency. In line with Hay & Baayen, Bybee and
>> others for English, familiarity/frequency interacted with the degree of
>> compositionality, yielding the following equation: more familiar/frequent
>> =
>> less reference to the root, less familiar/frequent = more refrence to the
>> root; Hebrew speakers who were asked to provide free associations, for
>> example, tended to rely on the root extensively when confronted with
>> unfamiliar/infrequent words whereas other types of associations (mainly
>> semantic-pragmatic) were given to familiar/frequent Hebrew derived nouns.
>> Batia Seroussi
>> 2011/3/21 Joan Bybee <jbybee at unm.edu>
>>
>> I agree with Lise. Jennifer Hay has also done a lot of very good research
>>> on
>>> the loss of transparency of derivational morphology. Plus you can check
>>> my
>>> 2010 book, Language, Usage and Cognition, for both theory and data on
>>> these