simplicity

Kaius Sinnemäki ksinnema at ling.helsinki.fi
Thu Mar 31 11:57:51 UTC 2011

Esa's claim about the interconnectedness of simplicity and complexity is
well-founded. But how could these notions not be interconnected?

I think Nicholas Rescher (1998) has described complexity in a helpful
way. To Rescher, complexity is on the one hand a matter of real world
entities, like biological systems or languages. On the other hand, our
best practical index/measure of complexity depends, to some extent, on
definitions & perspectives. Complexity is thus at the same time a matter
of real world entities and a matter of the observer. Like Tom said, it
would be a bit deflating for science if complexity was just a matter of
definitions, being merely a property of our models and not of the
reality they attempt to model. Yet, many have viewed complexity
ultimately in this way (e.g. Karl Popper, Herbert Simon and Murray
Gell-Mann). But if complexity was merely a matter of our models, I think
the whole notion would not have been as helpful in science as it has
been thus far.

For those interested in the history of complexity research, Michel
Alhadeff-Jones' (2008) brief article is an infomative introduction to
the issue. In my dissertation I also write about complexity from a
typological point of view. If it's accepted in the review this spring, I
could send a copy or the URL to those interested.

Kaius Sinnemäki