Ambridge & Lieven: Child Language Acquisition: Contrasting Theoretical Approaches

Elena Lieven lieven at eva.mpg.de
Tue May 3 20:27:38 UTC 2011

Dear all,
With apologies for the shameless self-promotion, we (Ben Ambridge &
Elena Lieven) would like to inform you that our new textbook (/Child
Language Acquisition: Contrasting Theoretical Approaches/, Cambridge
University Press) is out now (paperback/hardback/Kindle).

As the name implies, our aim in writing the book was  to compare the
competing theoretical accounts of all the major language-acquisition
phenomena, in as even-handed and comprehensive a manner as possible. We
therefore hope that this will be a useful  textbook for course-leaders
of /all/ theoretical persuasions! If you teach a course on language
acquisition, why not request a free inspection copy from Cambridge
University Press? (links for inspection copies/purchase are below.)

*Table of Contents*

1. Introduction
2. Speech perception, segmentation and production
3. Learning word meanings
4. Theoretical approaches to grammar acquisition
5. Inflection
6. Simple syntax
7. Movement and complex syntax
8. Binding, quantification and control
9. Related debates and conclusions.

 *Summary:* Is children's language acquisition based on innate
linguistic structures or built from cognitive and communicative skills?
This book summarises the major theoretical debates in all of the core
domains of child language acquisition research (phonology,
word-learning, inflectional morphology, syntax and binding) and includes
a complete introduction to the two major contrasting theoretical
approaches: generativist and constructivist. For each debate, the
predictions of the competing accounts are closely and even-handedly
evaluated against the empirical data. The result is an evidence-based
review of the central issues in language acquisition research that will
constitute a valuable resource for students, teachers, course-builders
and researchers alike

 *Cambridge University Press - to request a free inspection copy or
purchase (though usually cheaper at Amazon)*

UK:
http://www.cambridge.org/gb/knowledge/isbn/item5741469/?site_locale=en_GB

USA:
http://www.cambridge.org/us/knowledge/isbn/item5741469/?site_locale=en_US

Elsewhere: http://www.cambridge.org/us/knowledge/location/

*Amazon*

UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Child-Language-Acquisition-Contrasting-Theoretical/dp/0521745233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300707811&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Child-Language-Acquisition-Contrasting-Theoretical/dp/0521745233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300708318&sr=8-1

--
Elena Lieven
Department of Developmental and Comparative Psychology

Tel.+49-(0)341-3550 404
    +49-(0)341-3550 400 (Department Coordinator: Henriette Zeidler)
Fax.+49-(0)341-3550 444

and

Max Planck Child Study Centre
School of Psychological Sciences
University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL
UK

Tel.+44-(0)161-275 2580
    +44-(0)161-275 2444 (Research Secretary: Mickie Glover)
Fax.+44-(0)161-275 8587