Professor in Quantitative Linguistics, Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta

Sally Rice srice at ualberta.ca
Thu Nov 10 17:53:41 UTC 2011

Dear Funknet colleagues,

Here is a second position being advertised in our Department. Please
circulate!  --Sally Rice

*
*

*Professor in Quantitative Linguistics*

* *

*Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta***

* *

*Application deadline: 13 January 2012*

The Department of Linguistics in the Faculty of Arts at the University of
Alberta invites applications for a tenured position in Quantitative
Linguistics at the Full Professor level. The successful candidate will be
exceptionally well qualified with an outstanding research record in the
application of quantitative, statistically-based techniques to the study of
language, particularly in the areas of morphosyntax, language processing,
and corpus linguistics. Responsibilities will include maintaining an active
research program, teaching/supervision in both our undergraduate and
graduate linguistics programs, and administrative service.

The Department of Linguistics has a strong commitment to empirical and
experimental approaches to linguistic research. The Department consists of
eleven full-time, continuing faculty members pursuing research projects in
experimental phonetics, phonology, morphosyntax and semantics of Amerindian
languages, cognitive linguistics, corpus linguistics, language
documentation and revitalization, bilingual 1st and 2nd language
acquisition and language impairment, psycholinguistics,
computational/historical linguistics, and sociolinguistics. We usually have
approximately 40 students in our graduate program at any given time, of
which roughly one quarter are pursuing the MSc while the majority are
working towards the PhD. More information about the Department can be found
at www.linguistics.ualberta.ca.

Established in 1908 as a board-governed, public institution, the University
of Alberta has earned the reputation of being one of the best universities
in Canada based on our strengths in teaching, research, and services. The
University of Alberta serves over 38,000 students in more than 200
undergraduate programs and 170 graduate programs (www.ualberta.ca). The
Faculty of Arts is the oldest and most diverse faculty on campus, and one
of the largest research and teaching centres in western Canada (
www.foa.ualberta.ca). The University’s main campus is located in Edmonton,
the vibrant, cosmopolitan capital of the province of Alberta. The Edmonton
metropolitan area is the sixth largest in the country with a population of
approximately one million. Edmonton is located only a few hours drive from
Banff and Jasper National Parks, which offer skiing in winter and excellent
hiking and sightseeing in summer.

*How to Apply*

Applicants should send curriculum vitae, a letter describing their areas of
research interest, samples of publications, and, if available*, *a teaching
dossier and evaluations of teaching performance to:

*Dr Sally Rice, Interim Chair*

*Department of Linguistics*

*University of Alberta*

*Edmonton, AB, CANADA  T6G 2E7*

*Tel: (780) 492-5500*

*Fax: (780) 492-0806*

*Email: sally.rice at ualberta.ca*

Applicants must also arrange for three letters of reference to be sent in
confidence to the Chair. The closing deadline is *13 January 2012*. The
effective date of employment will be *1 July 2012*. Salary is negotiable
and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.

*All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority. If suitable Canadian citizens
or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will be
considered. **The University of Alberta hires on the basis of merit. We are
committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity
and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including
persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal
persons.***

--
Dr. Sally Rice
Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Linguistics
sally.rice at ualberta.ca
www.ualberta.ca/~srice <http://www.ualberta.ca/%7Esrice>