What is linguistics? What is it good for?

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Thu Sep 8 18:08:43 UTC 2011

Next month I'm going to be making a trip to South Sudan (independent in July) to
give a series of lectures on language policy, orthography development, and
language standardization. Africa is an absolute mess in terms of literacy
because of ill-advised language policies and inadequate language development.
It seems to me that this is something that linguistics is definitely good for.
John