What is linguistics? What is it good for?

Hancock, Craig G chancock at albany.edu
Fri Sep 9 15:52:12 UTC 2011

As somewhat of an affectionate outsider--with primary interest in composition and in literacy--let me add a slightly discordant tone.
    Linguistics is a discipline that often takes language apart for the purpose of understanding it and then has a hard time putting it back together again. Though it is full of useful insights, many of those are not available in user friendly form.  It seems a contentious discipline that may be undergoing a paradigm shift.
   I don't disagree with anything anyone has said, but wanted to add an additional perspective.  I have tried to be an advocate for increased attention to language in the K-16 curriculum and finding it a hard sell.

Craig