What is linguistics? What is it good for?

alex gross language at sprynet.com
Thu Sep 15 06:34:58 UTC 2011

Since translation has recently been mentioned under our topic, this
review in The Economist of a new book by David Bellos may be of interest:

http://www.economist.com/node/21528575/

I've been pretty well behaved over the past few months, so I
wonder if I can get away with rephrasing Prof. Bischoff's questions
somewhat:

How about "mainstream" generative linguistics?  What is it good for?

All the best to everyone!

alex

http://language.home.sprynet.com

All the best to everyone!