Who is/isn't a linguist?

carey benom busylinguist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 23:21:50 UTC 2011

Interesting question, Shannon.

I sometimes think that all human beings who speak/sign a language are
linguists, as they have had to go through the process of - beginning with no
background - collecting and analyzing vast amounts of data, creating
categories, testing and revising hypotheses, forming conclusions, etc. in
order to create a grammar of a language from the ground up.

Such a process could be argued to be distinct from the "scientific" analysis
of language, as it is based on "folk" or naive understanding, but I am not
sure that such a binary distinction is the right or only way to see things.
For example, some card-carrying linguists use only qualitative
methodologies, and linguists who use quantitative methods may consider their
work "unscientific".  Other linguists, such as Chomsky, use
intuition-derived data that seems very suspect to many people on this list,
who may refer to it is "bad science" or "unscientific".

Therefore, in my classes, I sometimes refer to language-using humans who
don't have a background in linguistics in school (or elsewhere) as "poor
linguists", as they lack the tools, range of experience, and perspective of
those of us with such a background.

Best,

Carey Benom
Kyushu University