Who is/isn't a linguist?

Daniel Everett dan at daneverett.org
Thu Sep 29 09:38:12 UTC 2011

Shannon, Fritz, and all,

The question of "who is a linguist" might be little more than the vestige of what Popper and others called "essentialism," harking back to Plato. Probably not a lot of use in trying to sharpen the denotation of the term by getting at the essence of what it refers to.

What group one belongs to is a matter of taste and preference. Linguists form a group of people with shared values. People who share more values will identify more with one another. Some linguists share more values with each other than they do with others who call themselves linguists and so the natural tendency is for the one group to think that their values are better markers than those of the other group. More generally, are their values that can be called "linguistic?" Then those who share them are linguists, if one finds that sort of thing useful.

On the other hand, if by "linguist" we refer to a profession, then I think that the number of linguists will shrink over the next few years due to the pressures on higher education and the values of incoming students, which include employment. If we cannot provide employment, yet label people based on what they are paid to do, the reference set of "linguist" will shrink.

So I think it is vital that we think about what it means to be a linguist in light of the employment problem. For many years, I have become more convinced that linguistics PhD programs, like many PhD programs in the humanities, are borderline Ponzi schemes. I have written on this in Inside Higher Ed (http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2011/08/30/essay_on_how_humanities_can_be_strengthened_by_embracing_ties_to_professional_education).

When Peter Ladefoged was the chair of linguistics at UCLA he sent out a letter to prospective applicants to tell them about the US job market and to suggest that they had little chance at getting a job at a research university (this was over 30 years ago!) and that perhaps the best linguistics of the future would be done by plumbers and carpenters.

The profession needs to ask itself whether Whorf himself embodied the future. Very good linguistics by moonlighting, being a talented hobbyist.

-- Dan