High Desert Linguistics Society Conference 10--Call for Papers

High Desert Linguistics Society UNM hdls at unm.edu
Fri Apr 13 20:55:02 UTC 2012

(Apologies for multiple postings)

Please see the attached document for the call for papers and abstract
submission guidelines.

*Call for papers—Tenth High Desert Linguistics Society (HDLS) Conference:**
**Cognition, culture and discourse in signed, spoken and indigenous
languages*

University of New Mexico

November 1-3, 2012

Registration opens: May 15, 2012

http://linggraduate.unm.edu/conference/conference.htm* *
*

We invite you to submit proposals for talks at the Tenth High Desert
Linguistics Society (HDLS) Conference. **General presentations** will be 20
minutes followed by 5 minutes for discussion. We are also accepting
abstract submissions for**poster-sessions**. We welcome proposals for
talks/poster-sessions in the following areas: *

   - Cognitive linguistics

   - Functional linguistics and discourse analysis

   - Linguistic typology

   - Gesture and signed languages

   - Indigenous language endangerment, revitalization and description

   - Acquisition

   - Language and culture

*Finally, we also invite speakers to propose** themed panels**, **which
will consist of three presenters. Each presenter will be responsible for a
10-minute presentation, for a combined total of 30-minutes per panel,
followed by 10 minutes for questions addressed to the panel. Speakers who
propose a panel topic are responsible for arranging who will participate in
the proposed panel. Only one abstract should be submitted per topic. The
abstract should include the proposed panel topic, and how each speaker will
contribute to the proposed theme.*

**

*Keynote speakers:*

*Paul Dudis<http://www.gallaudet.edu/faculty-staff/linguistics/dudis_paul.html>—Gallaudet
University (Signed Languages)*

*Jane Hill<http://datamonster.sbs.arizona.edu/anthropology/people/display_fac_details.php?id=27>—University
of Arizona (Language Revitalization and Language Ideologies) *
*Beth Levin <http://www.stanford.edu/%7Ebclevin/>—Stanford University
(Cognitive Linguistics)*

Sincerely,

HDLS Officers
President: Laura Hirrel
Vice president: Corrine Occhino-Kehoe
Secretary: Keiko Beers
Treasurer: Masha Sotnikova
HDLS Liaison to the Faculty: Benjamin Anible

High Desert Linguistics Society
Department of Linguistics
The University of New Mexico
hdls at unm.edu