The proposition redux

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Thu Aug 2 12:09:38 UTC 2012

Dear Funknet

A couple of years ago I initiated a debate on this list about the
nature of the proposition, which generated some interest. I also had
some interesting off-list exchanges on the topic.

Since then my thinking has evolved to the point where I now no longer
feel that the term proposition can be of any good use within linguistic
semantics, regardless of its status in logic. I have finally published
an article to this effect and can send the pdf to anyone interested. The
ref is:

Prolegomenon to a cognitive theory
of content: alternatives to the proposition
Text & Talk 32–3 (2012), pp. 413 – 431

Any critical comments will be welcome.

Tahir