Terminology for verbal derivation

john john at research.haifa.ac.il
Tue Jul 17 04:27:06 UTC 2012

Thanks, guys. For the time being I'll use the term 'Applicative'.
I'm going to be teaching a class on

Bari language development to 50 or
so native speakers of Bari with little or no linguistics background, so

for the moment I'm not concerned with the term being misused by
'reference grammar linguists'. I just

want some kind of usable term.
What was the motivation for the choice of this particular term, that

the form means that another argument can be 'applied' to the verb?

John

On 16.07.2012 22:51, Daniel Everett wrote:

> It is possible
that 'applicative' is the best term here, depending on local linguistic
traditions.

> But as Sally and I (and different co-authors) showed in
a series of papers on Salish the range of ways to modify/signal
modification of various manifestations of transitivity and valence go
beyond currently available terminology. I don't mind terms like
'applicative' as mnemonic devices in limited contexts, e.g. specific
language families, but I don't like them when they are used as
cross-linguistic standards. I don't find rigid use of terms all that
useful. The variation is too great in most cases, especially when looked
at more carefully.

LAUNEY wrote:

>> Hi, "Applicative" seems to me, definitely, the best
term. To my knowledge, it was first coined in 1595 by Antonio del
Rincon, who in his "Arte Mexicana" had "discovered" this phenomenon in
Nahuatl. There is a long tradition of use of this term in grammars of
Nahuatl and other Middle American languages. In the Bantu linguistic
tradition, it is also used, but more often you will find "prepositional
form of the verb" (which is strange, because precisely the added
argument NP occurs with no preposition). I find in a Georgian grammar
(Tschenkeli "Einführung in die georgische Sprache") "Objektive Version",
which seems to me also unsatisfactory. Best Michel Launey On Mon, 16 Jul
2012 07:54:10 +0100 Lachlan Mackenzie <lachlan_mackenzie at hotmail.com
[3]> wrote:

>>> Hi, John, To me it seems like 'applicative' might
be the word you're looking for. One applicative form can cover various
meanings, in the way you describe for Bari -kindya. Cf. David A.
Peterson (2007). Applicative Constructions. OUP. Best wishes, Lachlan
Mackenzie

2012 08:40:26 +0300 From: john at research.haifa.ac.il [2] Subject:
[FUNKNET] Terminology for verbal derivation Dear Funknetters, I'm
looking for a term to use to refer to a form for deriving verbs in Bari
(-kindya) which seems to generally add an argument to the verb, but the
argument can be any one of a variety of types--it can be an indirect
object, a directional particle, just about anything it seems (for
example, when added to the root meaning 'old age', it can take as an
argument a place, with the meaning 'to live to an old age while living
continuously at that place', or a nominalized form of a verb referring
to an occupation, with the meaning 'to live to an old age while
continuing to work at that occupation'). Do you have any ideas what term
I might use to refer to this form of the verb? I was initially going to
call it the 'Benefactive' because it's often used to add an indirect
object (e.g. 'close a door for someone') but when I looked at all of the
usages of this form it became clear that this is really a pretty small
minority of its uses. Any ideas? Thanks, John

Links:
------
[1]
mailto:funknet at mailman.rice.edu