First Call: 12th International Cognitive Linguistics Conference (23-28 June 2013 at the University of Alberta)

Sally Rice srice at ualberta.ca
Tue May 1 02:20:38 UTC 2012

*ICLC 12: First Call for Abstracts*

The *12th International Cognitive Linguistics Conference (ICLC)* will be
held on 23-28 June 2013 at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta,
Canada. This is the first time the conference will be held in Canada––it
was last held in North America in 2001 (UCSB). Since then, meetings have
been held in Spain (2003), Korea (2005), Poland (2007), and China (2011).
The *deadline* for submission of abstracts is Thursday, *1 November 2012*.

The overall theme of the conference is *COGNITIVE LINGUISTICS AT 25*, with
three sub-themes:

·       *LOOKING BACK*: We take stock of the past 25 years in cognitive
linguistics. The year 2013 marks nearly 25 years since the 1989 Duisburg
conference that solidified the cognitive linguistics approach, reified it
in name, and established the journal, *Cognitive Linguistics*.

·       *LOOKING FORWARD*: We consider the next generation of cognitive
linguistics research.

·       *LOOKING OUTWARD*: We look to understudied populations and
applications, particularly in regard to endangered languages and signed
languages.

We invite a broad range of papers taking a cognitive, functional,
typological, and discourse approach to the study of language and cognition
in relation to body, culture, and context of use, as well as those focusing
on the history, present state, and future of the cognitive linguistics
movement. The range of topics has typically included (but is not limited
to):

*categorization, prototypes, and polysemy*

*Cognitive and Construction Grammars*

*cognitive corpus linguistics*

*cognitive phonology*

*cognitive semantics*

*discourse and grammar, text and discourse*

*domains and frame semantics*

*embodiment and situated cognition*

*empirical methods in cognitive linguistics*

*grammaticalization, language evolution, and change*

*image schemas and force dynamics*

*language development, impairment, attrition, and loss*

*linguistic relativity, culture, and ethnosyntax*

*metaphor and metonymy*

*mental spaces and conceptual blending*

*neural models of language*

*signed languages, gesture, and modality*

*usage-based approaches*

*Plenary Speakers*

*Joan Bybee*<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unm.edu%2F%7Ejbybee%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdJd9gFFIZMBVakVQ953FmL-8gLgA>,
University of New Mexico

*Nick Evans*<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fasiapacific.anu.edu.au%2Fpeople%2Fpersonal%2Fevann_ling.php&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzc1hf04izM0s6U1bdc9mGtbDmBONg>,
Australian National University

*Ron Langacker*<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fidiom.ucsd.edu%2F%7Erwl%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzfzQMQCEYYlH6_YVw5WbO2BozE3Qg>,
University of California, San Diego

*Elena Lieven*<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eva.mpg.de%2Fpsycho%2Fstaff%2Flieven%2Fcv.php&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdQF-fCXGeNRWUZVcsQULwwvIL-Og>,
Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig

*Hongyin Tao*<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fht37.bol.ucla.edu%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzeWZI25JF6yItv2VPXWMjW4TGb8RA>,
University of California, Los Angeles

*Ulrike Zeshan*<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uclan.ac.uk%2Fschools%2Fjournalism_media_communication%2Fislands%2Fulrike_zeshan.php&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzf0mYHH29vP60rMU5v6H0xhku-_pA>,
University of Central Lancashire

*General Plan for the Conference*

The conference schedule is designed to strike a balance between a
well-attended conference with lively participation and a coherent,
well-integrated one. Therefore, we are limiting the number of parallel
sessions during the general session to six, shortening the presentation
slots from 30 minutes to 20 minutes, ensuring that theme sessions and the
general session do not overlap, and increasing the number of poster
presentations. We hope ample unstructured time will encourage focused and
inclusive communication among participants as we all consider *Cognitive
Linguistics at 25. *There will be the usual excursions and conference
banquet on the Wednesday afternoon and evening of the conference.

            We have scheduled two “open fora” during the late afternoon of
the Monday and Tuesday of the conference that will be moderated, but which
are also meant to stimulate open discussion. The Monday forum will focus on
the last 25 years and the contributions of (or the failed promises of) the
cognitive linguistics movement, while the Tuesday forum will focus on the
directions in which cognitive linguistics seems to be moving. Please
contact the conference organizers if you would like to moderate or
participate on one of the forum panels.

            Given the silver jubilee theme, we also invite participants and
other interested parties to submit captioned photographs from past
conferences. There will be an *In Memoriam* presentation during the
conference honoring cognitive linguists we have lost since 1989. If you
wish to contribute a name or personal tribute, please contact the
conference organizers.

*General Session and Poster Session*

The language of the conference is English. Platform presentations will be
allocated 20 minutes, which includes questions and discussion. Posters will
stay up for a day and be allocated to dedicated, timetabled sessions over
the lunch break. Light refreshments or boxed lunches will be available for
purchase.

*Theme Sessions*

All theme sessions will take place during the weekend preceding the
conference or on the Monday and Thursday nights of the conference week. We
encourage theme session organizers to submit theme session titles and
detailed proposals for either 6-hour sessions (Sunday) or 3-hour sessions
(Monday or Thursday nights) directly to the conference organizers, along
with the names of authors and titles of the individual papers. Theme
session authors will still need to submit their abstracts directly for
review (see below).**

*Abstract Submission*

General (parallel) session talks will be 20 minutes in length, including
discussion. Authors may submit up to two abstracts, one individual and one
joint, regardless of whether they are intended for the general or a special
theme session. Abstracts must be submitted electronically through *Easy
Abstracts* (*EasyAbs*). The submission period is 1 August–1 November.

            Abstract length must not exceed 500 words (excluding title,
data, and references). Be mindful that authors will only have 20 minutes to
present their work, including questions, so please limit the scope of your
presentation accordingly. Abstracts will be subjected to blind review by a
minimum of two referees from an international Scientific Committee, so
author names should not appear anywhere on abstracts (you may cite yourself
as [Author]).

            Authors must include the following information on the
*EasyAbs*web page: (1) name(s) of author(s); (2) affiliation(s); (3)
postal address,
email address, and phone number; (4) five keywords that describe the
research; and (5) preference for oral or poster presentation (or either).
Authors should use 11-point font and upload .pdf versions of their
abstracts to preserve special formatting or fonts. Abstracts must be
submitted through *Easy Abstracts* (*EasyAbs*) starting on 1 August 2012.
Abstracts will be evaluated on the basis of scope, relevance, originality,
methodology, and strength of conclusions. Please direct all inquiries to *
iclc2013 at ualberta.ca*.

*Important Dates*

Abstract submission becomes available on *EasyAbs*:

General and theme session abstract submission deadline:

Notice of acceptance:

Final accepted abstract submission for conference program:

Early registration deadline:

Registration deadline (on-site registration will be available at a
substantial surcharge):

Conference dates:

*1 November 2012*

23-28 June 2013

*Conference Organizers*

Sally Rice and John Newman, University of Alberta

*Contact Information*

email:              *iclc2013 at ualberta.ca*

website:         *www.foa.ualberta.ca/iclc2013*

--
Dr. Sally Rice
Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Linguistics
sally.rice at ualberta.ca
www.ualberta.ca/~srice <http://www.ualberta.ca/%7Esrice>