Proverbs

Bernd Heine heine39 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 05:31:54 UTC 2012

Looking through a range of grammars of languages across the world I am
surprised that proverbs are largely or entirely ignored in grammatical
descriptions. They appear occasionally in the exemplification of
structures but are essentially never discussed, e.g., as a discourse
type, or as illustrating a special kind of morphosyntactic structure or
relationship between form and meaning.
To be sure, I could think of a number of reasons for that, but I find
none of them entirely convincing. Why should proverbs not have a place
in a (comprehensive) reference grammar? After all, they appear to occur
in all languages that have been appropriately documented, and they are
part of the knowledge speakers have about their language. Please advise.
Bernd