Proverbs

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 13 18:26:06 UTC 2012

We seem to have strayed pretty far from Bernd's question. Just a couple
more miscellaneous remarks.

A long long time ago I started to write a grammar of Armenian in
collaboration with Hasmig Seropian. For various reasons we never finished
it, but I remember that we were in fact going to include a chapter on
proverbs, with which Armenian is rife. I seem to remember that others had
written about Armenian proverbs, but my memory could be faulty.

Marianne is certainly right about the prevalence of metaphor in Iroquois
languages. One I especially like captures the idea of being amused or
entertained, which is expressed as "stirring one's mind." Often it's in the
context of telling stories.

Reference to "crying wolf" reminded me of coyote stories, but I don't know
that coyote is ever cited as a model for how one should behave. Sometimes
he wins and sometimes he loses, so imitating him could get one into big
trouble.

Nobody mentioned puns, in which I have a special interest because of my
broader interest in humor. If you're interested yourself, look at
Polysynthetic Puns in UCPL 131 (1998).

Wally