How hierarchical is language use?

T. Florian Jaeger tiflo at csli.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 22 23:56:57 UTC 2012

Hi Brian,

I let Stefan speak for himself. My point was orthogonal to the issues
you're raising. All current models of syntax (including the one that you
seem to have in mind) assume that we are able to learn latent structure.
What type of latent structure we're learning is what many discussions seem
to center around. Stefan was reacting to my claim that the models used in
his article (echo state networks) still implicitly capture latent structure
and that this would stand in conflict with the conclusion that his results
argue against latent structure. As you can see from his response, the
situation turns out to be somewhat more complicated.

I think that the points you're raising do not affect the point of my
question, but they might independently be of interest in interpreting
Stefan's findings.

Florian