How hierarchical is language use?

T. Florian Jaeger tiflo at csli.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 31 17:34:09 UTC 2012

additional paper of interest by the same authors:

Frank and Bod 2011 in PsychScience "Insensitivity of the Human
Sentence-Processing System to Hierarchical Structure", preprint available
here:
http://www.academia.edu/509509/Insensitivity_of_the_Human_Sentence-Processing_System_to_Hierarchical_Structure

In that paper, the authors provide evidence that at least *some* measures
of processing difficulty during reading are more affected by sequential
rather than hierarchical features. They show that probabilistic phrase
structure grammars  (PCFGs) are better at predicting words than simple
recurrent networks (SRNs). Crucially though, the probabilities
(expectations) derived from SRNs provide a better fit against human reading
times than the probabilities derived from PCFGs (several versions of both
models are evaluated and compared; specifically, as I recall, the models
are evaluated under the surprisal linking hypothesis proposed by Hale,
2001; Levy, 2008 ). The authors take this to argue that humans rely on
representations that resemble those inherent to SRNs more closely than
PCFGs. The methodology employed by the authors is rather thorough, so that
I would think the results would replicate.

Three caveats: first, it should be clarified is that SRNs, of course,
*do* hierarchical
structure, though their latent structure is typically considerably flatter
than PCFGs (and less pre-determined, of course). Second, the quality of the
PCFGs depends on the quality of the Treebank they are trained on. While the
fact that the PCFGs predicted words better than SRNs did suggests that the
Treebank structures were decent, this does not mean that the study tested
whether human sentence comprehension involves *any* hierarchical structure
(of a different nature). The authors acknowledge something similar to that
in the discussion. Third, the data presented in the main text are analyzing
first past fixations (i.e., the measure in reading that is perhaps expected
to be most sensitive to the earliest pieces of information that become
available during processing). I haven't yet checked
the supplementary information, which contains analyses of additional
measures.

Finally, I felt that in the "How hierarchical is language use?" paper some
of the clarity that the previous paper (discussed above) had got lost. The
idea that we switch back and forth between different 'parallel' sequential
processing stream (see discussion) is just a different way of stating that
language *is* hierarchical. What is left is much less controversial (and
rather insightful, like the first paper): much of processing does not
require any or at least not particularly 'deep' hierarchical structure, if
we're willing to accept a rich mental lexicon that includes lexicalized
structures (which we need to anyway).

I am cc-ing Stefan Frank to correct any wrong details in my summary of his
paper.

Florian