marking diaresis and accent

john john at research.haifa.ac.il
Mon Sep 3 16:43:00 UTC 2012

(myhill)

We've suggested that. They say it looks like a mess and
I'm inclined to agree. Nuer (a neighboring closely related language)
does something like this (the grammatical functions are different, but
the orthography idea is the same) and it's really a pain to read. Also
reading researchers at my university have consistently found that double
diacritics really slows down reading.

Best wishes,

John

On
03.09.2012 19:37, Wallace Chafe wrote:

> John (who?)
>
> For whatever
it's worth, Seneca is written with the umlaut for nasalized
> vowels
(nostrils), and it's quite possible to add a raised accent mark

(either acute or grave) that fits on top of the two dots. It's possible

> with Times New Roman, and probably other fonts.
>
> Wally Chafe

--On Monday, September 03, 2012 4:52 PM +0300 john

<john at research.haifa.ac.il> wrote:

>> Hi Pam, I briefly suggested
this to them last week (among other suggestions). The objection raised
was that the circumflex has been traditionally used by linguists working
on Dinka (and I think Nilotic languages in general) to mark falling
tone. This has never been used in the orthography but unfortunately the
Dinkas who would be deciding whether to accept this have I think gotten
used to this notation. It's especially unfortunate because they have
considerable difficulty even perceiving falling tone, and the situations
in which it's used differ radically from dialect to dialect (unlike the
cases in which I've convinced them to use high tone marking, which are
the same in all dialects), so the category of falling tone is for
practical purposes orthographically useless. I agree that it's a pretty
iconic way to combine umlaut and acute accent, and it's more familiar to
them that the Hungarian long umlaut. I am going to try to suggest it
again. Maybe if I can get all of the foreign linguists working on Dinka
(like 5 of us) to suggest this notation they'll accept it. Thanks and
best wishes, John On 03.09.2012 16:35, Pamela Munro wrote:

have used a
>> circumflex to mark stressed (normally shown with acute ´)
on vowels that have a diaresis to show quality -- thus (if these
transmit) in Garifuna the sixth vowel (high back unrounded) is written ü
(u umlaut) and I write a stressed one as û (u circumflex). This is
pretty iconic.Pam

>>> Sent from my iPad Pamela Munro Professor,
Department of