marking diaresis and accent

john john at research.haifa.ac.il
Tue Sep 4 05:36:03 UTC 2012

I did try suggestion one symbol for each function. They didn't like
it. They need something to hold onto phonologically. It's a little
surprising because the Nuers their neighbors have accepted the idea of
using / to indicate negation on an auxiliary, which is also related to
tone.

Best wishes,

John

On 03.09.2012 23:11, Mike Cahill wrote:

> Well, worth a shot, anyhow. Conceptually, it's like marking a
question with a question mark. Presumably each of these contexts should
have a different symbolization. Just out of curiosity, did you try that,
or was your suggestion one symbol to cover all these?