Gloss of Hopi lyrics?

Johanna Rubba jrubba at calpoly.edu
Fri Apr 5 18:29:31 UTC 2013

Hello, all,

I'm a little embarrassed to make this request, as it seems a little shallow, but I am hoping to find a linguist of Hopi who can give me a morpheme-by-morpheme gloss and idiomatic translation of some Hopi lyrics to a short song, the Three Prophecies, from the film Koyaanisqatsi.

It was very difficult to find a transliteration of the lyrics (I wound up getting them from a producer in the UK!). Translations into English are all over the web, but I don't know how trustworthy they are.

I would like to have this for personal reasons, as I find the song very meaningful, but I might also use it in my linguistics classes. Songs "humanize" these "exotic" languages for my students, and it's also often easier to hear the sounds when the vowels are lengthened on long notes.

Please write to me individually, and I'll send you the transliteration.

Best,
Johanna

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
Tel. 805.756.2184
Dept. Tel 805.756.2596