Workshop announcement (University of Hawaii)

Iwasaki, Shoichi iwasaki at humnet.ucla.edu
Tue Dec 10 03:22:02 UTC 2013

Call for papers

Fiction and Practice in Japanese:
“Virtual Language” and “Gender in Language”

Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures, the University of Hawai’i at Manoa will host a one-day workshop on “Virtual Language” and “Gender in Language” on Saturday, February 15, 2014. “Virtual language” is a type of speech associated with fictional characters found in comic books and translated speeches in novels and movies. “Japanese” spoken by Tom Sawyer in translation, or overly feminine “Japanese” spoken by Marilyn Monroe in her movies are examples of virtual language. We are surrounded by virtual language, but are rarely conscious about its existence.
We solicit abstracts of papers discussing topics related to the conference theme such as ‘gender and language,’ ‘language in translation,’ ‘language in media,’ and ‘textbook language.’

Keynote Speakers:
Dr. Satoshi Kinsui (Osaka University)
Dr. Momoko Nakamura (Kanto Gakuin University)

Paper abstract submission
An abstract should be no more than 300 words (excluding references). We only accept electronic submission. Prepare either MS Word or pdf files.
•	Send the abstract via email attachment.
•	Do not include any information that may reveal your identity in the abstract
•	No changes in the title or the author’s names will be possible after acceptance.
•	Please write the title of the paper, the name(s) of the author(s), affiliation, email address and phone number in the body of your email message.

Deadline
All submission must be received by Monday, January 6, 2014
Send submissions to: iwasaki9 at hawaii.edu
Acceptance announcement will be sent by January 11, 2014.
Respond with your acceptance by January 15, 2014. If we do not hear from you by this date, we will assign your spot to someone else. A modest registration fee may be requested.

Organizers:
Shoichi Iwasaki
Haruko Cook