CoLang 2014 Office Hours at the LSA in January

Colleen Fitzgerald collfitz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 22:37:19 UTC 2013

*CoLang 2014 team to hold office hours at the Linguistic Society of America
Meeting in Minneapolis on January 3rd and 4th. *

CoLang 2014: the Institute on Collaborative Language Research will take
place at The University of Texas at Arlington in June and July 2014. CoLang
(previously known as InField) allows students, faculty, and indigenous
community members to acquire or refine cutting edge skills in language
documentation, revitalization and field linguistics, to  network with
established international experts in these areas, and to gain hands-on
experience in working with endangered and underdescribed language
communities through field methods offerings. An exciting development this
year is our partnership with the Linguistic Society of America. Part of
this co-sponsorship includes LSA scholarships to CoLang 2014, creating
expanded opportunities for academic training in language documentation and
field linguistics for (and by) a diverse group of indigenous community
members,academic linguists and those involved in a wide variety of language
documentation and revitalization activities.

The CoLang 2014 team from UT Arlington will be holding office hours at the
LSA on January 3rd and 4th, where we will have fliers and posters for you
to take home to help us advertise CoLang, and we will also be available to
answer any questions that you might have about attending CoLang. If you
stop by, you can register to win a door prize in addition to getting a
poster. If you know someone who is considering attending CoLang, be sure to
tell them to stop by and see us. These are the office hours with locations
for CoLang:

Friday 9:00-10:30 a.m. - Symphony 1
Saturday 9-10:30 a.m., 2:00-4:00 p.m. - Directors Row 4

CoLang's two-week session, from June 16-27, 2014, consists of workshops in
aspects of language documentation and revitalization and it costs $1450,
which covers registration, room and board. Many attendees stay on for an
additional four-weeks, which includes enrollment in a four-week field
methods class, as well as the two weeks of workshops. Costs for the entire
six-week session is $4300 (registration, room and board). The field methods
classes give participants a firsthand experience in working with speakers
of an endangered language to document and analyze the language. With three
to four field methods classes scheduled, CoLang 2014 will be able to serve
a large number of interested participants. This year, for the first time,
we plan to offer a Spanish-medium field methods class featuring a language
of Mexico. We should be announcing the languages for the field methods
courses by February 1, 2014.

The CoLang website is available:
http://tinyurl.com/colang2014

Registration will open in January 2014; the final deadline for registration
will be April 15, 2014.

Online scholarship applications from the Linguistic Society of America and
for CoLang 2014 internal scholarships will shortly be available; the due
date for consideration for both is February 17, 2014. In addition, the
Endangered Language Fund will also be offering a scholarship to CoLang
2014's two-week workshop session through its Native Voices Endowment, with
a scholarship deadline of April 1, 2014. This scholarship is available for
tribal members of those tribes that are eligible for the Native Voices
Endowment. Full scholarship information and updates as they occur are at:

http://www.uta.edu/faculty/cmfitz/swnal/projects/CoLang/scholarships/

For other questions or inquiries, please email us at
uta2014institute at gmail.com.