Butler, Cameron, Haiman and habits

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Thu Jan 31 08:18:58 UTC 2013

     I'm currently re-reading Deborah Cameron's /Verbal Hygiene/, one of
my favorite linguistics books of all time.  In Chapter 1, Cameron draws
on the work of philosopher Judith Butler (and through her, I would
imagine, on Michel Foucault) on gender as a social construction built
out of repeated performance.  Cameron then goes on to speculate that
other social identities such as race, class and nationality can be
similarly constructed, digging below previous assumptions in
sociolinguistics of identity as an immutable thing.

     I haven't yet read Butler, but having studied the work of John
Haiman and Joan Bybee, among others, it occurred to me that any repeated
activity ("performance," if you like) generates its own habit, its own
schema, its own nature as a thing in the minds of people who observe it,
precisely through this kind of repetition. It becomes progressively less
conscious and more natural-feeling. It is partly under conscious
control, but not completely.

     Is anyone familiar with attempts to synthesize concepts of
ritualization and schematization with Butler's work, and hence with
Cameron's?  I don't want to reinvent the wheel, and I want to give
others credit.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com