adjective typology

Timo Honkela timo.honkela at tkk.fi
Tue Jul 2 19:57:23 UTC 2013

Dear Brian,

We have written a short paper on "Measuring adjective spaces" for which we compared 3-4 classification frameworks with lexica and found them to be mutually incompatible to such a degree that made us to conclude that "[t]here does not seem to exist a consensus among linguists on how adjectives should be divided into categories in general." To have some ground truth for our experiments, we simply compared how well the different methods were able to find synonyms and antonyms. The paper is available at

http://users.ics.aalto.fi/tho/info/honkela2010measuring.shtml

Regrettably I don't have information on the classification frameworks that we studied available here and now. One potentially interesting reference is "Adjective Classes: A Cross-Linguistic Typology" (Dixon & Aikhenvald, eds.).

Adjectives are an exciting topic of research for which many classical theoretical frameworks are necessarily not fully suitable. One potentially useful direction could be to check if researchers on fuzzy sets have produced something systematic regarding adjectives. There is a quite early paper in which we modeled fuzziness of size adjectives:

http://users.ics.aalto.fi/tho/info/honkela91a.shtml

Adjectives are also a central topic in a growing number of research projects related to sentiment analysis.

Best regards,
Timo

P.S. We have recently come into the conclusion that good statistical or probabilistic methods are able to judge semantic similarities based on contextual data at a level that is comparable to a human-level performance. In other words, the differences between human judgements are so widespread that it is not necessary sensible to consider human classifications as a ground truth. This topic is discussed in our recent short paper "Exploratory Text Analysis: Data-Driven versus Human Semantic Similarity Judgments". A journal paper with broader set of experiments is under preparation.

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-37213-1_44