Query about stylistics textbooks

Johanna Rubba jrubba at calpoly.edu
Tue Jul 9 15:16:02 UTC 2013

Hello, all,

I'm teaching a stylistics course in the Fall and am looking for a current textbook. I have used Mick Short's Exploring the Language of Poems, Plays and Prose with great success in the past, but it's 1996, and I don't think a 2nd edition has been put out.

This class is for English majors who have had one ten-week course introduction to linguistics, which, as you can imagine, doesn't go deeply into anything, and most of the students have little interest in the material, so it's doubtful they retain much. So the text would have to be basic, while at the same time illuminating. Short is excellent in this regard, but it would be nice to find a more-recent book.

Please post suggestions directly to me and I will post a summary to the list.

Thanks!

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
Tel. 805.756.2184
Dept. Tel 805.756.2596