career advice: tenure salary/sabbatical

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 19:21:00 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Please ignore the previous post...I sent it before I had a chance to proof
it by mistake.

I'm a junior faculty member in the US who is currently up for tenure. I
anticipate no problems with the process and to receive tenure next year
(based on previous evaluations and our departments policies). Though I
think I have a healthy bit of nervousness regarding the process. I wanted
to ask if anyone might have advice regarding salary negotiation upon
receiving tenure and promotion, e.g. is it appropriate and how best to go
about it if so. I know this will vary from institution to institution and
linguist to linguist, but I'm hoping to get some idea if it is something I
should consider.

Provided I do get tenure, I will be eligible for sabbatical in two years. I
will have the option to take a full or half-year.  Like with my query
regarding salary negotiation, I wonder if anyone might have advice
regarding preparing for sabbatical and possibly securing a research or
teaching opportunity outside the US. I am familiar with the Fulbright
program and would appreciate hearing about experience with it or any other
programs.

Thank your time,
Shannon Bischoff