The ontology of rules

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Fri Jun 14 08:15:08 UTC 2013

This is just what it is:

the habitus is an infinite capacity for generating products –
thoughts, perceptions, expressions and actions – whose limits are set
by the historically and socially situated conditions of its production,
the conditioned and conditional freedom it provides is as remote from
creation of unpredictable novelty as it is from simple mechanical
reproduction of the original conditioning. (Bourdieu 1990: 55)

And also:

… the process of acquisition – a practical mimesis (or mimeticism)
which implies an overall relation of identification and has nothing in
common with an imitation that would presuppose a conscious effort to
reproduce a gesture, an utterance or an object explicitly constituted as
a model – and the process of reproduction – a practical reactivation
which is opposed to both memory and knowledge – tend to take place
below the level of consciousness, expression and the reflexive distance
which these presuppose. (Bourdieu 1990:72-73)

Tahir

>>> Wallace Chafe <chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu> 6/14/2013 6:24 am >>>
These messages have lifted my spirits. I’ve always felt this way
about
“rules”, and I still remember futile discussions about them during
the
1960s when people were especially rule happy.

The issue has arisen for me lately with respect to “phonological
rules”,
which are nothing more than statements of sound changes that give a
fusional language the shape it has. I’ve been struggling in vain to
keep
people from calling them rules, and it’s hard not to feel like giving
up.

Wally

O n 6/13/2013 10:03 AM, Ellen Contini-Morava wrote:

> I confess that convincing a public audience that (even) non-standard

> varieties have "rules" itself panders to the hegemonic language
> ideology that having reified "rules" is a badge of legitimacy. But
one
> has to pick one's battles; there's only so much that can be done in
an
> hour. (See Michael Silverstein, 1996. “Monoglot ‘Standard’ in
America:
> Standardization and Metaphors of Linguistic Hegemony.” In D.
Brenneis