phonological rules

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at wayne.edu
Wed Nov 6 19:57:00 UTC 2013

While I can't promise 'balance', I can point out a forthcoming paper by Patricia Donegan and myself arguing that at least some phonological behavior is not 'just' statistical but closer to Neogrammarian in flavor. We have a paper forthcoming in the Oxford Handbook of Sound Change on Natural Phonology's view of such things. I've got another, very rough draft of a more synchronic paper on storage and the extent to which phonological processes (however construed) are real-time psychological events, primarily from a Cognitive Grammar point of view. Within CG my views are not 'mainstream', FWIW, since CG has to some extent taken a 'usage-based' turn, with which I do not wholeheartedly agree.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.