On anaphora and discourse deixis

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at ruc.dk
Tue Jul 15 17:03:19 UTC 2014

Stephen, the point I was trying to make about Icelandic sá and þessi, German (stressed) der/das (not the article) and er/es, Biblical Hebrew זֶה and הוּא (according to Ehlich) was exactly what you say: "discourse deixis provides an explanation for the distinction. If we essentially reject discourse deixis, we have to account for these differences in another way". Hartmut