Review of research on gesture

Nick Enfield Nick.Enfield at mpi.nl
Mon May 12 20:06:25 UTC 2014

“Might be relevant”? LOL Chuck Goodwin, here being characteristically modest (like a number of others in this thread), is a pioneer and inspiration in work on the relation between “language and gesture”.

I’d like to add a comment on the ‘language and gesture’ issue, related to Mike Morgan’s comments, among others. The term ‘gesture’ is hopelessly ambiguous, in a way that sabotages much discussion on the topic. Sometimes it means ’the communicative movements people make with their hands when talking’. Other times it means ‘the “imagistic, gradient, holistic” component of an utterance’. It’s often the case that these two things correlate, but they are not equivalent. The same ‘semiotic continuum’ from symbolic to ‘imagistic’ is seen within the modality of visible bodily movements as is seen within audible vocalisation (from lexical items to ‘tone of voice’). One cannot equate ’the visible part of the spoken language utterance’ with ‘the non-linguistic part of the utterance’. The problem must be approached starting with a semiotic characterisation of the whole utterance and its components, not from the idea of ‘language’ (as if any of us, when pushed, can draw a clear line between what does and does not count). From this perspective—Cornelia Müller’s work is a good example—we begin to see grammar-like properties in speakers’ co-speech hand movements. As Adam Kendon put it in 1986: “A theory of utterance should not begin with a division between ‘speech’ and ‘gesture’.” This is why he now eschews use of the term ‘gesture’ entirely.

Nick