Review of research on gesture

Randy LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Tue May 13 04:39:05 UTC 2014

Yes, Bolinger was way ahead of the pack very early on in many ways (like Wally). Another one who has always taken prosody seriously is Michael Halliday (being a student of Firth probably helped in that regard!), seeing it as part of the grammar. Bill Greaves, who wrote a book with Michael on Intonation in English (M.A.K. Halliday and W. Greaves, Intonation in the Grammar of English, LONDON: EQUINOX. 2008. PP. IX, 224. CD ROM) will not talk about linguistic forms without intonation, calling them "dead words"!

Randy