because N(P) -structure

markus.hamunen at helsinki.fi markus.hamunen at helsinki.fi
Mon Oct 6 07:46:17 UTC 2014

Folks,

collectively: thank you for your responses (so far)!

To Esther: That was illustrative. Bob Ladd's posting in the Language
Log tells that
in German because ADJ expression can be found as well:
"meine ganzen "normalen" duschgels sind nimmer wirklich verwendbar,
weil unangenehm."

To Lise: You're right, I was hasty. It is, indeed, an adjective.
Better example here
would be "I can’t go out with you today [because homework]" (from
Masaru Kanetani's abstract in ICCG8).
Interesting is that there seem to be different possibilities to X in
because X structure in different languages; e.g. we have not (yet)
found any [because ADJ] examples in Finnish texts.

To Bracha: Many thanks! We will contact Kanetani. We, as well, are
into Construction Grammar (and perhaps
Frame Semantics, too). This is an excellent coincidence.

To Carey: Many thanks to you too! These links are informative. We will
definitely let you know
if some linguistic research will emerge.

To Meichun Liu: Thank you for your illustrative example from Mandarin.

Best,
Markus Hamunen