the term 'encoding' again ...

Denis Donovan dmdonovan1937 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 22:19:59 UTC 2014

Well, some of you must have thought that Luria should have stayed around my place longer.

Actually, the message went out with only the first sentence ...

My question is much more specifically this:

When did encoding/decoding become common -- and was the appearance of that notion related to the publication of Shannon's information theory in 1949?

Sorry about the apparent mindlessness of the question.