Short language documentat=?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=8Bion_?=training on Miyako Island, Okinawa, Japan; Apply by 9/13/2014

Yoshi Ono tono at ualberta.ca
Mon Sep 1 21:50:43 UTC 2014

*Short language documentation training on Miyako Island, Okinawa, Japan
(Apply by 9/13/2014)*

We will be conducting a short language documentation training workshop
focusing on one of the Ryukyuan languages, Miyako, on Miyako Island,
Okinawa, Japan. This workshop has been planned as part of the activity of
the Linguistic Dynamics Science Project (LingDy) at ILCAA, Tokyo University
of Foreign Studies, to stimulate and support research in language
documentation. The main target of the workshop is advanced undergraduate
and beginning graduate students, and we plan to cover the basics of working
on an endangered language in the community where it is still spoken. Both
linguistics and people skills are emphasized. If you would like to
participate in the workshop, apply at <http://bit.ly/1pbFTI3> by September
13, 2014. We can only accommodate a limited number of participants, and
applicants will be notified of the outcome immediately after the closing
date. If you have questions, please direct them to Toshihide Nakayama<
nakayama at aa.tufs.ac.jp>.

*Target participants:* Advanced undergraduate and beginning graduate
students without fieldwork experience or knowledge of Miyako and other
Ryukyuan languages. We are targeting 5 to 10 total participants. A good
command of Japanese is required.

*Conducted by:* Professor Toshihide Nakayama (ILCAA, Tokyo University of
Foreign Studies)

*Where:* Miyakojima, Japan

*When:* December 17th-22nd  (need to arrive at Miyako Island by the evening
of Dec. 16 and stay at least till the evening of Dec. 22). We are prepared
to assist with travel arrangements.

*Fees:* no registration fee; no tuition required

*Cost:* You are responsible for the transportation cost to Miyako Island
and lodging and food costs. We will, however, try to keep the lodging and
food costs reasonable by making arrangements for shared lodging and
self-cooking.