name?

Kenneth Allen Hyde kenny at UDEL.EDU
Wed Aug 4 00:54:40 UTC 1999

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Kirk Hazen wrote:

> I like it, but how would we pronounce the acronym?  And I can't say the
> whole name that way without giving the last word a French twist.

I'm assuming that a pronunciation of either [ga 'laj] or [ga 'lej] would
be the most logical pronunciations.  But I suppose you could also make it
into three syllables as [ga la 'i].  Or, it could end up like OutIL,
with multiple pronunciations depending on who is saying it.

BTW, I like this choice too; the international focus is very welcomed.

Kenneth Allen Hyde     |  No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife
Univ. of Delaware      |  between the shoulder blades will seriously
Dept. of Linguistics   |  cramp his style  -- Old Jhereg proverb
kenny at Udel.Edu         |  A mind is a terrible toy to waste! -- Me

//www.ling.udel.edu/hyde/prof/ken.html