creating a governing structure

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at TAMU.EDU
Thu Aug 5 16:27:59 UTC 1999

Dear all,

We're approaching the September 1 deadline for the official establishment
of our organization, and it's time to focus on creating a structure and
electing people to carry out the organization's goals. We've developed the
following proposal as one possible model, based in part on earlier
discussion and ideas from list members (especially Ines Shaw). The entire
proposal can of course be revised, modified, or replaced with an
alternative structure, as members see fit. We invite everyone to join in
the discussion of this and other proposals that may arise. After discussing
and voting on the structure of the organization, we'll go on to call for
nominations to fill positions and then to elections.

Thanks for sticking with the process thus far--the end is in sight!

KMMS
We propose a two-component structure:

1. Executive committee

Duties: To develop procedures to carry out the work of the organization, as
determined by policies put forward by the advisory council. The EC would be
assisted by standing committees, boards, and ad hoc committees as
necessary.

Structure:

- President (3-year appointment)
- Vice-President/President-Elect (3-year appointment)
- Conference Chair (1-year appointment on Executive Committee, 2 years
after that on the Conference Committee in advisory capacity)
- Journal Editor (4 years)
- Financial Officer (3 years, potentially renewable)

Standing committees, ad hoc committees, and boards:

These would carry out the procedures developed by the EC. The following are
the ones that we can see an immediate need for:

- Conference Committee (made up of incoming conference chair, outgoing
conference chair, and an additional person): To coordinate the conference
and advise and help the conference chair, organize abstract refereeing,
develop call for papers and program, locate funding.

- Editorial Board: The journal editor, two associate editors (3-year
terms), and an advisory board (6-year terms).

- The financial officer would need an assistant.

Comments:

The 3-year appointments are meant to be long enough to allow people to
become comfortable with their position and short enough to periodically
bring fresh perspectives into the organizational structure. For continuity,
the vice president would become the president after three years, and the
outgoing conference chair would advise the incoming conference chairs. The
tenure for the position of editor would be 4 years because of the
complexity of the editor's duties.

2. Advisory council

Duties: To represent the interests of particular constituencies within the
organization and to set policy for the organization, which would then be
carried out by the executive committee and its subcommittees.

Structure:

Twelve elected members. Six slots would be reserved for the following
constituencies, and would have to be filled by a member of the group being
represented (e.g., a member from the US could not fill slot 6). Six other
slots would be open to any member of the organization.

The proposed constituencies are:

1. Graduate and undergraduate students
2. Scholars in nontraditional employment situations (e.g., working in
industry; independent scholars; part-time and adjunct faculty)
3. Members of color
4. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual members
5. Men who are members of the organization
6. Members outside the US, Canada, and the UK

Comments:

Students (including those in slots 2-6 and in open slots) would serve
2-year terms, which would allow for students rotating off at a faster rate
as their program requirements change or they graduate. Others would serve
3-year terms. An individual who fits into more than one constituency should
choose which one s/he wishes to run for, including an open slot. One person
could *not* be counted as filling two slots, even if s/he is a member of
more than one represented constituency.