governing structure discussion

Trechter, Sara STRECHTER at CSUCHICO.EDU
Mon Aug 9 17:27:26 UTC 1999

The philosophy of gala and the discussion that led up to a philosophy
emphasized diversity.  The question is whether our governing structure
should reflect this philosophy.  In California we are still reeling from the
elimination of affirmative action at the state level, so maybe I am biased,
but I'm particularly concerned that this should not become an all white,
English-only focused, senior academic, good 'ol girl club.  I still think
that we have some mechanism to facilitate as much diversity in the
organization as possible, but I agree that identity politics can be
problematic. So, instead of saying we need to have a male slot (pun!), a
gay/trans slot, a student slot, a person of color,  and a person who studies
languages other than English slot....why not focus on concerns, interests
and experience while encouraging participation?  With this in mind, I have
actually proposed a 7th category in order to be inclusive as possible.
(Too many categories?)

Presumably, the uptake of one's identity in society at large sometimes
influences a person's interests and even performance. I would be embarrassed
to run as a student representative even though it wasn't all *that* long
ago.  I also like Jeff's idea of making these areas of interests changeable,
but perhaps that should be reserved for the bylaws?

1. Graduate and undergraduate students

change to, *Representatives for graduate and undergraduate (issues?)*

2. Scholars in nontraditional employment situations (e.g., working in
industry; independent scholars; part-time and adjunct faculty)

change to *Representative for scholars in nontraditional employment
situations*

3. Members of color
*Representative for issues/research in gender and ethnicity/race.

4. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual members
*Representative for language and sexuality research/issues*

5. Men who are members of the organization
*Representative for language and masculinity research/issues *

6. Members outside the US, Canada, and the UK
*Representative for geographic or linguistic diversity*

7.  Representative for Feminist Research/Issues.

Dr. Sara Trechter
Asst. Professor Linguistics/English
CSU, Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0830