governing structure discussion

anna livia livia at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Aug 10 01:47:38 UTC 1999

I like the idea of scholars to *represent* each category rather than
embodying them, but I wonder how this will work in practice.  Since I am
currently working on French gay men's use of the Minitel, could I represent
scholarship on men's speech? (I am a white Anglo-Irish lesbian professor).

If I was a straight  man looking at the sexual vocabulary of male prison
guards, could I represent langauge and sexuality research?

If I was a white researcher comparing the discourse of Acadian male
religious leaders with that of female nurses, could I represent research in
gender and ethnicity/race? How about if I worked at the Jewish
Rehabilitaiton Hospital in Laval, Quebec and studied bilingual aphasics,
comparing speech recovery in men and women?

Not to trivialize, but I fear we may trip over our feet in our efforts to
be representative and I'm afraid we may not end up with what we want.
Anna Livia (PhD)
Visiting Assistant Professor, French Department,
UC Berkeley, Fall 1999

UC Berkeley, French Dept, Dwinelle Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720

livia at Cal.berkeley.edu