name, internationality

Beeching, Kate Kate.Beeching at UWE.AC.UK
Tue Aug 31 13:32:24 UTC 1999

I am sure we Europeans would be delighted to host a
GALIA conference - Paris is a pleasant city!! Or Bath???
I am in the Association for French Language Studies in
Britain - we usually alternate between Britain and abroad
and next year our annual conference will be held in Quebec.
Hawaii sounds GREAT! Funding might be sticky for some,
however, which is a consideration. But NB the US is
"abroad" for some of us! Kate Beeching.
On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:45:17 -0400 Kenneth Allen Hyde
<kenny at UDEL.EDU> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Jeff Deby wrote:
>
> > I definitely cringe at cutesy or forced-sounding ones.
>
> Actually, I think that putting the I at the end of GALAI makes it seem
> less forced (despite the fact that it is in fact an conscious artifice).
> Of course, we could put a decided French spin on the whole thing, move
> "international," and get GALIA.  But people might question our commitment
> to cultural pluralism and diversity. =)  (I offer this, not in any
> seriousness, but as an illustration of what I think you might mean by
> "cutesy.")
>
> > Question: if we have "international" in our title, does this mean we're
> > prepared to, say, have conferences not in the USA?  If not, would that
> > make us hypocritical or lip-servicing?
>
> I don't see that having "international" in the name of the organization
> necessarily commits us to having conferences outside the US.  Rather, it
> can be read as making a claim about our membership or about our commitment
> to including non-American research programs and theoretical frameworks.
> On the other hand, I don't necessarily see why we shouldn't have a
> conference that is held in more than one country.  I mean, would a
> conference in Bruxelles be any more of a logistic nightmare than a
> conference in Hawaii?  It seems like having a conference in Europe would
> probably be easier than having one in quite a few US states; so why rule
> it out?
>
> Kenneth Allen Hyde     |  No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife
> Univ. of Delaware      |  between the shoulder blades will seriously
> Dept. of Linguistics   |  cramp his style  -- Old Jhereg proverb
> kenny at Udel.Edu         |  A mind is a terrible toy to waste! -- Me
>
> //www.ling.udel.edu/hyde/prof/ken.html

Beeching, Kate
Email: Kate.Beeching at uwe.ac.uk
"University of the West of England"