Agenda Issue

Kenneth Allen Hyde kenny at UDEL.EDU
Wed Feb 3 19:43:03 UTC 1999

Heyla, everyone.  I'd like to add my thanks to the organizers of this list
for bringing us together and getting things started.  I think that a
Langauge and Gender professional association is a much needed group.

One thing that I would like to suggest for the agenda is that we take time
to think in some detail about what sorts of services/resources GALA should
offer to its members.  This is already implicit in the suggested agenda
items (e.g. the question of whether we would have conferences, etc.), but
I think it should be much more clearly stated.  Will GALA be mostly a
virtual community, with a maililng list and other online resources, etc.?
Will it be a professional organization that just "looks good on a resume"
(I hope not just that *smile*). Will we try to create a sort of
not-for-profit corporate entity with funding for various projects, etc.?

I'm sure that all of these questions  would come up in the course of
discussion, anyway, but it might be better to have them placed clearly on
the agenda under a distinct rubric.

Anway, those are my $0.02.

May the seas be your solace and the forests a refuge for your spirit,

Ken

Kenneth Allen Hyde     |  No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife
Univ. of Delaware      |  between the shoulder blades will seriously
Dept. of Linguistics   |  cramp his style  -- Old Jhereg proverb
kenny at Udel.Edu         |  A mind is a terrible toy to waste! -- Me

//www.ling.udel.edu/hyde/prof/ken.html