GALA Philosophy

Andrew Barke abarke at INSC.TOHOKU.AC.JP
Thu Feb 4 01:41:11 UTC 1999

Hi,
I am another who has been looking forward to the kick off of this list. It
seems clear from the messages to date that many others share my high
interest and support for this association.

One point I would like to bring up for consideration, and I assume it will
come under the heading "Philosophy"of GALA, is the definition of "gender
and language." I am hoping it will be taken at face value and will include
the discussion of issues regarding gender and the language of both women
and men. I have often found that what has been titled "Gender and
Language," has in fact meant "Women's Language," which is disappointing in
that it 1. implies that men are genderless??, and therefore 2. implies
women's language, by being affected by gender, is  somehow marked language.

Andrew Barke
PhD candidate
Tohoku University
Japan