feminist?

JANET BING jbing at ODU.EDU
Thu Feb 25 17:47:27 UTC 1999

Kenneth Hyde  says:

"I think that, if GALA ends up being a truly "gender and language"
organization, any distinction should follow naturally.   It's sort of
a different agenda item (although it does fall under the rubric of
"philosophy of GALA"), but my personal feeling is that GALA should be
open to scholars and teachers who are not working in a feminist
framework. Admittedly, many members will be, but I don't think it
should be a requirement. "

This brings us to an issue of definition and some questions about
organization, including whether GALA will become an organization
with a conference and journal or simply a list.

Beginning with my own definition of "feminist" as "a person who
advocates the equality of and equal opportunity for females" I believe
that GALA should be feminist.  However, I this certainly does not
exclude work on men's language, such as that being done by Scott
Kiesling.

Janet Bing
Dept. of English
Old Dominion University